At the end of 2012, I wrote an article titled “12 Things To Leave Behind in 2012.” Well, in a few hours, the year of 2013 will be history and 2014 will appear with all the newness and hope that the start of a new year brings. With all its turmoil, suffering, war, and loss, 2013 still offered a glimmer of hope for some and became a source of courage for many others. With that said, I want to add one more thing to this list that we all should leave behind in 2013.
13. Leave the past in the past. Someone said very wisely, that sometimes we often crucify ourselves between two crosses, regret of the past and worry about the future. If you physically leave the past, but you are mentally and emotionally still living in the past, you have already set yourself up for a mediocre present and an almost non-existent future. The point of having a past is not to live there. The point is to learn from the past so you can purposefully live in the present and prepare for a great future. 2013 is behind all of us. It no longer exists. You do not have permission to live in that house. Don’t carry the baggage, the drama, the confusion, the trouble with you. Leave it at the door of 2013. Turn around. Face forward. Enter the new door of 2014. Behind this door lies possibilities, hope, abundance, and a wonderful life worth living. Jeremiah 29:11 says, “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'” This is what your future looks like — it is bright and overflowing with God-ordained purpose and hope. God has you covered. Trust Him to take you to amazing places you never imagined you would go in 2014.
12. Leave behind everything that you thought you should have done and that you actually did, but after a while you wish you hadn’t done it. Doing bad things will bring bad results. But doing good things will bring good results. Leave all the bad stuff and take all the good stuff.
11. Leave behind hurt, pain, embarrassment, and failure. Everybody has experienced some level of hurt, pain, embarrassment, and failure at some point and time in life. Learn from that stuff but leave it in the past. Don’t carry this type of baggage with you.
10. Leave behind doing stuff that gets you nowhere. Someone once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and getting the same results. Enough said.
9. Leave behind all fakeness and trying to impress people. Most people do not care what you have, what you are wearing, or how you look because they are took concerned about what they have, what they are wearing, and how they look. It is ridiculous to try to impress people who are not perfect. Leave all the fakeness, the hypocrisy, and trying to impress imperfect people behind. Be real, be authentic, be sincere, be genuine, be you. God is the only One who you should try to impress, but you don’t even have to impress God because God loves you just the way you are regardless of how you look, what you wear, or what you have.
8. Leave behind worry. Worry is the contagious attitude of modern society. Everybody has been worried about something or someone at some time in this year. But God was, is, and always will be on the throne, so there is no need to worry. If we had to worry, there would be no need for God. So all the things and people you are still worried about, turn it and them over to God and stop worrying. Don’t take worry with you in the new year.
7. Leave behind pride. Stop thinking so highly of yourself, so highly of your stuff. Pride causes us not to rise higher in life. Pride keeps us from asking, depending, praying to, hearing from, and receiving God and His promises. Pride turned Lucifer into Satan and got him cast out of Heaven. Every prideful attitude should be left behind in this old year.
6. Leave behind procrastination. Procrastination is everything that you knew you were supposed to do, but put off doing. Don’t leave behind what you procrastinated to do, but leave behind procrastination itself. What God told you to do in this old year, if you have not done it, He still wants you to do in the new year.
5. Leave behind anger, frustration, and bitterness. These things will get you nowhere at all. Being angry, frustrated, and bitter towards other people, does not hurt them; it only hurts us. It hinders us. It binds us and keeps us back from enjoying freedom. If we don’t get these issues straight on the inside, we will never be able to move forward in life. What binds us cannot free us. So, forgive and forget; release people; get the anger, frustration, and bitterness out of you so you can be free.
4. Leave behind fear. Fear is the feeling of being afraid or a distressing emotion that a threat of danger, pain, evil, or something terrible, whether real or imagined, is present. Fear can grip you so much that it can cause you to think that the good thing you were actually supposed to do is the worst thing you can do. Fear will keep you back from accomplishing your goals, will crush your spirit, and hinder you from enjoying life. If the thing you feared is good, it should not be left behind in this old year. But fear itself should be left behind.
3. Leave behind all lies. Anything that is not true is a lie. Leave behind all lies that the devil told you, that you told yourself, that you told others, that others told you, that you told others about you, that you told yourself about you, and that others told you about them. Lies will hold you back, hold you down, and hold you up from moving forward.
2. Leave behind all negative people. All the people in your life, whether family members or friends, who are not encouraging you, inspiring you, motivating you, or offering you constructive criticism, leave them behind. You don’t need their negative attitude rubbing off on you or hindering you from accomplishing the things God wants you to accomplish.
1. Leave behind being independent of God. God, all by Himself, got you through last year and God, all by Himself, will get you through this year. Stop trying to fight your battles. Stop trying to defend yourself. Stop trying to do things in your own power. Be independent of everybody else and everything else, but be dependent always and forever on God. He is always there, watching, protecting, loving, guiding, and providing. He knows your future and He is crazy happy about where He is going to take you if you let Him. Surrender your will; trust His plan; and let Him work amazing possibilities for your life.